Battle of Waxhaws

The Battle of Waxhaws (also known as the Waxhaws, Waxhaw massacre, and Buford’s massacre) took place during the American Revolutionary War on May 29, 1780, near Lancaster, South Carolina, between a Continental Army force led by Abraham Buford and a mainly Loyalist force led by British officer Banastre Tarleton. Buford refused an initial demand to surrender, but when his men were attacked by Tarleton’s cavalry, many threw down their arms to surrender. Buford apparently attempted to surrender. However, the British commanding officer Tarleton was shot at during the truce, causing his horse to fall and trap him. Loyalists and British troops were outraged at the breaking of the truce in this manner and proceeded to fall on the patriots.

While a dreadful defeat for the Patriots, Continental forces in the South, however, turned this stinging loss into a propaganda victory, stirring up anti-British sentiment throughout the colonies.

On May 12th, 1780, Charleston fell to the British under the command of Sir Henry Clinton. A column of reinforcements consisting of 380 troops under the command of Colonel Abraham Buford failed to reach the city before its fall and withdrew. This force, known as the Third Virginia Detachment, consisted of two companies of the 2nd Virginia Regiment, 40 Virginia Light Dragoons, and two six-pound cannons.

With plans to return to New York, Clinton transferred command to his deputy, Lt. Gen. Charles, Lord Cornwallis in command of the Southern Army. Cornwallis learned of Buford’s presence and sent a force under Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton in purusit. Tarleton commanded 230 men of his British Legion and 40 members of the 17th Light Dragoons. Tarleton also brought along a three pound cannon.

Even though the Americans were a week ahead of Tarleton, the aggressive British commander moved his men 150 miles at a rapid pace, catching up with Buford on the afternoon of May 29th, 1780. The area in which the two forces caught sight of each other lies along the border of North and South Carolina, in an area called the Waxhaws.

Tarleton sent ahead a message to Buford, demanding the Patriots surrender. Buford resfused and then ordered all of his heavy baggage and weapons to continue moving northward. This included his artillery, which would not play a role in the battle. Buford formed a battle line in an open field across the route of march, his infantry in a single line with orders not to fire until the British approached within 10 yards.

Approaching Buford’s position, Tarleton divided his force into three attacking columns. He deployed 60 British Legion dragoons as well as about the same number of mounted infantry to the right, with the intention of having the mounted infantry dismount and pour fire upon the Americans, pinning them down. At the same time, he formed a center column of his elite troops, the regular soldiers of the 17th Light Dragoons, as well as 40 Legion dragoons, to charge straight towards the American center under the covering fire of the Loyalists to their right. The left column was led by Tarleton himself and consisted of 30 handpicked men of the Legion, ready to sweep the American right flank and drive for their baggage and reserves. Tarleton kept his single cannon in reserve with the remaining Legion Dragoons.

The British attack commenced as soon as all of their troops were in position. With Colonel Buford’s order to refrain from firing, the Patriot was overrun by the speed and aggressiveness of the British mounted attack. The three columns broke through the positions and began cutting down soldiers left and right. Many American survivors of the battle claimed that their comrades were massacred while trying to surrender.

Just as quickly as it had begun, the Battle of Waxhaws was over. British casualties were slight, with 5 killed and 14 wounded. The Americans lost 113 men killed and 203 wounded. Colonel Buford managed to escape from the slaughter. He reported what he saw on the battlefield to Patriot officials and the effect was electrifying. The Battle of Waxhaws became known as “Buford’s Massacre” and Tarleton, already known as an aggressive commander, was condemned as a butcher.

There is much debate as to whether or not these killings took place. The British reported that all wounded of both sides were treated fairly as was custom of the day. While today historians debate the truth behind the claims of the killing of prisoners, the effect in 1780 was dramatic. As the British advanced further into North Carolina, men from all over the South took up arms in order to defeat the butchers of Waxhaws. Men from across the Appalachians, the “Overmountain Men” would take up arms and defeat a Loyalist force at the Battle of King’s Mountain in October, 1780. There they attacked the Loyalist position with cries of “Remember Waxhaws!” Resistance to the British campaign in the South continued to intensify, and in October, 1781, the British Army in the south would finally meet its fate around the Virginia port of Yorktown.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Add to cart
Enter email to add to cart (We'll give you 10% OFF!)

No thanks! *By entering your email address, you are signing up to receive our emails. You may unsubscribe at any time.